Here is an overview of a gospel study method (system) for teaching children in the home. It works! And...it is so fun end effective...and easy!!
PLAN FOR TEACHING THE GOSPEL IN OUR HOMES
1. Plan to focus on a gospel principle each month. Discuss and pray what and how to teach, what resources are available, and what you want to have happen each month.
1· Select a theme ( Jan. ORDER Feb. LOVE June COVENANTS Nov. GRATITUDE) and focus (specific gospel principle: ORDER home organization LOVE in the family COVENANTS of baptism GRATITUDE for our bodies) for each month of this year. What do you want your family to know and feel? (2 Nephi 25:26) Consider General Conference talks (as Pres. Hinckley asked), YM, YW and Primary themes, the Seminary standard work for the year, and family and cultural events.
2. Prepare: Post the theme and focus for the month, along with a supporting scripture,
hymn, and quote from the Prophet or an Apostle (On the fridge? A table easel?). One
idea is to memorize the scripture by repeating it before meals, and to learn the hymn by
singing it together (accompaniment CD’s are available from church distribution or can be
accessed on line). See the preface of the hymnbook for motivation and inspiration.Click here to read from the preface. The children’s Songbook can also be used. You could also make a scripture glue-in with the
quote on the front and personal notes on the back. Click here for information on scripture glue-ins.
· Weave the month’s focus into your plans for Monday night family home
evenings, Sunday instruction with your family, daily scripture study, and
activities. Most church resources have a topical index, and now many (including the
scriptures, church magazines, manuals, hymns and primary songs, Preach My
Gospel, and selections from the Family Home Evening Resource Book and the Gospel
Art Picture Kit) are available on line at lds.org.
· Organize and schedule a “wrap-up” wholesome recreational activity for the end of the month to make a fun, family memory, pull together the theme and focus, bear testimony of its truthfulness, and create a setting where the spirit can be felt. See "The Nephi Experience" on this post and other ideas written at the end of this post. Click here to view the "Plan of Salvation" activity.
3. Proceed with your plans. Enjoy learning the principles of the gospel as a family!
Be persistent, yet flexible with your plan. You may not teach and do all you hope to each day, but your efforts add up to weeks, months, and years of diligence! (Mosiah 4:27)
· Seize teaching moments to testify of the truthfulness of the month’s principle––meal time, travel time, bed time, prayer time, family home evening, scripture study, parent-child interviews, family council, family activities, etc. In the Book of Mormon, Enos relates that the words that he had often heard his father speak concerning eternal life and the joy of the saints were what brought him to his knees to pray and repent.
“And these words… shall be in thy heart; And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down and when thou risest up.”
Theme and Focus Ideas
Some Related Areas and Principles
*focus on one each month
Home organization/church organization
family organization/the creation/plan of salvation/goals
Love in the family/loving our neighbors/morality/
chastity/brotherhood/dating/courtship/marriage/loving ourselves/YW theme and values/covenants
Family unity/teamwork/wholesome family recreation/.
Christ-like communication/world-wide brotherhood/Zion
Victory over self/the Sacrament/prayer/faith
integrity/the Sabbath day/the Holy Ghost
The arts/journals/testimony/spiritual treasures/
the armor of God/our talents/sharing our talents/
gifts of the spirit/education
Plan of salvation/the temple/choosing the right/
being happy/internalizing the gospel/
the joy of work/covenants/eternal marriage/relationships
Family heritage/pioneer heritage/family history and temple work/family reunions/freedom/
family traditions/wholesome family recreation
Light of example/gaining knowledge
light and truth/happiness/prayer/faith/education/
missionary work/the light of Christ
Being the Lord’s instrument/patriarchal blessings/priesthood blessings/the Book of Mormon/
plan of salvation/families are forever/YW personal progress/obedience/covenants/purposes of the Aaronic Priesthood
Missionary work/gardens/work/follow the Prophet
family preparedness/the plan of salvation/repentance
the life of Christ/the Atonement/thanksgiving/prayer/
Charitable service/follow the Savior/Christmas/
brotherly love/the pure love of Christ/gifts and giving/
One idea is to use the current Primary sharing time themes for the year for your monthly themes.
They are available here.
End-of-the-month idea for the topic of "Obedience"- have an activity entitled "The Nephi Experience." See 1 Nephi 2 - 5
(more ideas for activities to "wrap-up" a month are written after these pics)
Lehi explaining that the family would be going into the wilderness.
The "Liahona"...definitely of curious workmanship!
Following the "Liahona" in your hearts brings you to even better food...spiritual food!
pictures from the "Nephi Experience", an end-of-the-month activity for the topic of "Obedience."
Please do not copy slides.